| |

Bake Your Way to Harry Potter Magic With a Treacle Tart | BlogHer

Bake Harry Potter's favorite - Treacle Tart!

Of course this recipe is not mine but it sounds yummy! 
*NO CREDITS TAKEN*


To my obsession with food, my obsession (using the word lightly) with the world of Harry Potter ranks a close second. A very close second. Almost first and a half, if there could be such a thing. So of all the decadent dishes that appear in the movies and make you salivate while reading J.K. Rowling’s masterpieces, treacle tart caught my palate because it is truly based on British tradition. Plus, it’s just fun to say.
Years ago, treacle referred to any by-product of cane sugar processing. Nowadays, when a recipe calls for treacle, most often a golden cane syrup is used (I like Lyle’s brand). The more I tweaked the treacle tart recipe I found from famed British chef Heston Blumenthal, the more I realized it is like a pecan pie with cane syrup, and without the nuts.





How I attempted to achieve the ultimate treacle tart fit for the chosen one is by tweaking the filling. The Brits use bread crumbs as a binder - but this didn’t strike me as enchanting enough for witches and wizards, so I experimented (multiple times) with toasted almond meal and loved the flavor. I also added a little molasses (also technically treacle) to represent the dark and bitter sorts that linger in the shadows of Die Again Alley.




And with a flick of the whisk and a little potion proficiency, the sweet smell of treacle can appear in your kitchen as if you had your own personal house elf (a paid one, of course). The mild yet succulent flavor of the treacle is approachable yet charming at the same time. Much like a young wizard we all know and love.

0 comments: